Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Not Long Now ...

Monday snuck up on me. It always does.

Australia is sneaking up on me. This is a new, pleasant surprise. After months of anticipating our adventure Down Under, departure is finally in sight, and it doesn't even seem real. The countdown is in days now, not weeks.

Thanks to the wonderfully detailed itinerary we've received, we have the rare treat of knowing exactly what we will be doing a week from now - in this case, getting to know our host families and visiting Glenbrook in our first full day in Australia.

Yesterday, I appreciated my last full day at home, spending extra time with my horse, Fredd, who also benefitted in the form of a few extra peppermints. In a guilty attempt to make up for my absence, I made dinners and baked, putting things in the freezer even though Michael's a better cook than I am and is completely capable of keeping himself fed for a month. I took care of the things that needed doing. Half of me is already gone, thinking, A week from now our team will be doing this ... and half of me is still firmly at home, thinking, This is the last time I'll do this for a while, or this, and before I go I need to make sure that ...

It's a strange thing to realize that life as you know it is about to be suspended.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

No comments: